This picture was taken at Kensal Green Cemetery London.
The girl without hands or the handless maiden or the woman without hands or the maiden without hands is a German fairy tale collected by the Brothers Grimm.
A poor miller was offered wealth by the devil if the miller gave him what stood behind the mill. Thinking that it was an apple tree, the miller agreed, but it was his daughter. When three years had passed, the devil appeared, but the girl had kept herself sinless and her hands clean, and the devil was unable to take her. The devil threatened to take the father if he did not chop off the girl’s hands, and she let him do so, but she wept on her arms’ stumps, and they were so clean that the devil could not take her, so he had to give her up.
She set out into the world, despite her father’s wealth. She saw a royal garden and wanted to eat some pears she saw there. An angel helped her. The pears were missed the next day, and the gardener told how she appeared. The king awaited her the next day and, when she came again, married her and made her hands out of silver. She gave birth to a son, and his mother sent news to the king, who had gone off to battle, but the messenger stopped along the way, and the devil got at the letter, changing it to say that she had given birth to a changeling. The king sent back that they should care for the child nonetheless, but the devil got at that letter too, and once again changed it, saying that they should kill the queen and the child and keep the queen’s heart as proof.
The king’s servant despaired, and, to produce the heart, killed a hind and sent the queen and her son out into the world to hide. The queen went into a forest, and an angel brought her to a hut, and helped her nurse her son.
The king returned to his castle, and they discovered the letters had been tampered with. The king set out to find his wife and child. After seven years, he found the hut, and lay down to sleep with a handkerchief to cover his face. His wife came out, and when the handkerchief fell, directed her son to put it back on. The child grew angry, since he had been told that the Father in heaven was man’s true father, but no one on earth. The king got up to ask who they were, and she told him. He said that his wife had silver hands, but she had natural ones, to which she replied that God had given them back to her. Then she went to retrieve her silver hands that had fallen off and returned to show the king.
This is the west or old Brompton Cemetery. It is located near Earl’s Court and right next to the Chelsea football stadium (Stanbrook Road) in South West London.
Another image of the Magnificent Seven series – the seven large cemeteries in London.
Nestled among the spectacular trees and undergrowth are over 35,000 gravestones and monuments. The cemetery is alive with the amazing stories of all the people buried there since the 1830s, including some well-known names like Emmeline Pankhurst and John Snow.
Brompton Cemetery sits within one of London’s most affluent boroughs and is the final resting place of several notable people:
Mary Louisa Molesworth
Dec. at 82 (1839-1921)
Mary Louisa Molesworth, née Stewart was an English writer of children’s stories who wrote for children under the name of Mrs Molesworth.
John William Godward
Dec. at 61 (1861-1922)
John William Godward was an English painter from the end of the Pre-Raphaelite/Neo-Classicist era. He was a protégé of Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema but his style of painting fell out.
Dec. at 45 (1813-1858)
John Snow was an English physician and a leader in the adoption of anaesthesia and medical hygiene. He is considered one of the fathers of modern epidemiology.
A new picture from the Magnificent Seven series – the seven large cemeteries in London.
The picture shows old coffins in the catacombs which were originally conceived as a cheaper alternative burial to having a plot in the grounds of the cemetery. Compared to the other 6 of the magnificent seven, Brompton Cemetery appears rather looked after and in in good order.
[box style=”rounded” border=”full”]The American Sioux Indian chief, Long Wolf, a veteran of the Sioux wars was buried here on June 13, 1892 having died age 59 of bronchial pneumonia while taking part in the European tour of Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show. He shared the grave with a 17 month old Indian girl named Star Ghost Dog believed to have fallen from her mother’s arms while on horseback. 105 years later a British woman named Elizabeth Knight traced his family and campaigned with them to have his remains returned to the land of his birth. In 1997, Chief Long Wolf was finally moved to a new plot in the Wolf Creek Community Cemetery (ancestral burial ground of the Oglala Sioux tribe) at Pine Ridge, South Dakota. His great grandson John Black Feather said “Back then, they had burials at sea, they did ask his wife if she wanted to take him home and she figured that as soon as they hit the water they would throw him overboard, so that’s why they left him here.[/box]