At the beginning of the 20th century, to commemorate 100 years of Mexico’s Independence, President Porfirio Díaz commissioned the construction of the new National Theater to Adamo Boari, an Italian architect (also responsible for the design of the Palacio de Correos).
The white marble structure was almost complete when Adamo left the country and everything was shut down due to the outbreak of Mexico’s Revolution. And it wasn’t until 1928 that Federico Mariscal, Mexican architect, resumed the construction.
Finally, in 1934 the Palacio de Bellas Artes or Palace of Fine Arts was inaugurated and became the first art museum in Mexico –a national forum for performing and plastic arts.
The picture shows one of the entrance doors.