The artist is having a break from busking (Berlin, Alexanderplatz, June 2016).
THE RULES FOR BUSKING IN BERLIN
Un-amplified street music is allowed in general though you can not play in… –
– Public parks and green areas
– On private property without permission, e.g. the Subway BVG have their own permit system http://unternehmen.bvg.de/de/Unternehmen/BVG-Business/Objektnutzung/Musizieren which allows music at the stations (but it is never allowed inside the subway or on the platforms)
– Within 60 m from vulnerable buildings such as hospitals or senior homes
– Within 20 m from residential buildings – in front of schools during the time of classes
– In front of churches during mass
-In each district some further areas might also be out of bounds even for un-amplified music:
In Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg: im Boxhagener Kiez, umgrenzt durch die Warschauer Str., Grünberger Str., Boxhagener Str., Revaler Str., Neue Bahnhofstr., Modersohnbrücke, Simon-Dach -Kiez, Warschauer Str. zwischen Revaler Str., Mühlenstr., Straße der Pariser Kommune einschließlich Warschauer Brücke, Admiralbrücke, Bergmannstraßenkiez, zwischen Mehringdamm, Schleiermacher Str. sowie rund um den Chamissoplatz, Oberbaumbrücke, Schlesische Str. , rund um den U-Bhf. Schlesische Str..
Also the times of street music is restricted to 8-13 and 15-20 and it is not allowed on Sundays and other holidays
– Maximum playing time is 60 min, in pedestrian areas you can only play 15 min until you need to change the location by a minimum of 100 m. If a spot has been played on so far you also need to set up at least 100 m from that spot.
Amplified music is not allowed, but you can get permit from each district separately § 10 LImSchG Bln. Usually the Umwelt- und Naturschutzamt is the responsible authority for applications, in some districts it’s the Ordnungsamt. There is no guarantee however you will get any permit as the officials can decide according to the district’s demands. It may take about 4 weeks for the application to be processed.
In addition to the permit to play with amplification you may also need a permit for using the public street according to the Straßengesetz, in particular for placing amplifiers on the streets. The Ordnungsamt of each district is the responsible authority.
Playback is only allowed as a discreet background music. Within the permit of each district there will be further restrictions on the time and space of playing.
The permit in Kreuzberg-Friedrichshain would only allow amplified music on 24 occasions within 6 months from 01.04-30.09 (allowing street music only one time per week) for one hour at a time. While applying you already need to know the dates, times and places for each of your 24 performances. The permit can cost from 35 to 180 €.
On Wittenbergplatz you may only play for 30 min at a time on the same spot. A performance of multiple street musicians, also individual musicians of bands or other loud participants is not allowed.
Pankow-Weißensee (also Prenzlauerberg):
Kollwitzplatz and Oderberger Straße are excluded from the permit. Mauerpark is a park so it is also excluded from the permit for playing on the street.