It might sound funny but you don’t want to know.
San Salvador was considered the most dangerous city in the world in 1992 – I got rather violently mugged in El Salvador in 2003 which might makes me biased.
However these are some tips from Wiki travel:
- Don’t walk on streets that look abandoned and dark.
- Use only licensed taxis or rent a car. If you’re adventurous, watch your valuables and put away jewelry when using the public buses. Most major hotels have taxis that they have approved as safe and legitimate. If unsure about a taxi, call your hotel and they can generally have a safe taxi dispatched to your location.
- At best, walk in tourist areas and not STRANGE areas.
- If you don’t have a place to sleep then don’t go to old and dirty motels.
- Be careful with your handbag or purse while walking on crowded streets.
- Don’t flaunt jewelery/Mobile Phones etc on public transport or crowded areas – remember, common sense prevails!